‘Rule of Thumb’ Tank Checklist for Strongholds Tier 8
Updated 12th of January 2021
A few rule of thumb to cover the basics for the Tier 8 Strongholds. In general Tier 8 consist of a two group split with 1 very heavy battalion supported by fast and nimble burst damage vehicles. The very skilled teams often picks and prioritizes a majority of fast medium tanks with burst damage potential rather than heavies. Alternatively your tank selection can indicate a very defensive strategy and utilizing tank destroyers alongside super heavies. The more lighter tanks requires in general the most skills and is more dependent on a well performed strategy whereas the defensive strategy can in theory be performed with a majority legionnaire in your ranks.
Tier 8 (competitive)
- Object 252U/Defender (Alpha, Armor)
- Object 703 II
- Progetto 46 (Burst Damage, Mobility)
- P.44 Pantera
- EBR 75 FL 10 (Extreme Mobility)
- Lynx 6×6
Tier 8 (alternatives) – Strongholds
*alternatives = Generally only viable if you do not have any of the ‘Competitive’ tanks in your tank selection
- Mobility, Burst Damage
- Bat.-Châtillon Bourrasque
- Mobility, Gun handling
- CS-52 LIS / T-44-100
- Mobility, Heavy Burst Damage
- GSOR 1008
- Lorraine 40t
- AMX 50 100
- Turret Armour, Gun Handling
- M54 Renegade
- Turret Armour, Burst Damage
- Bisonte C45
- Low Profile, Mobility, Camouflage, Gun Handling
Artillery in tier 8 Strongholds? No… Did you opponent bring Artillery? Then yes you got a tank advantage already by utilizing the correct push strategy as you are already 1-0 ahead….
Tier 8 (alternatives) – Clan Wars
- Löwe (Turret Armour, Gun Handling)
- VK 100.01 P (Alpha Damage, Armour)
- Skorpion G (Alpha Damage, Mobility)
- UDES/S1 (Cammo, Gun Handling)
- Passive Spotter
- ELC Even 90 (Extreme Camouflage)
Artillery can be a viable option in Clan Wars when utilizing correct & proper defensive strategies.
Tier 8 Maps
- El Halluf
- Fisherman’s Bay
- Mountain Pass
- Sand River
- Serene Coast
- Siegfried Line
Quick Rule of Thumb
Tier 8 consist of way more advanced strategies when you compare it to Tier 6 both in tank numbers, amount of maps and the sheer selection of tier 8 tanks. As these lists are and will be updated as more content is added then we listed a few basic rule of thumbs that more often than not are advisable are as follows;
- “One Commander to Rule them all” – The Commander is always right, if you are asked to drive into the water to drown yourself then you do it. Any disagreement or questions of the commanders orders should be taken after the battle.
- “Not Random Battle” – The Strongholds is a team effort and your only and single objective should be to support the team to win and not train your crew, deal most damage, most kills or whatever personal goal you set. If you are new to the Strongholds your biggest challenge will be to forget the random battle strategies.
- “Use your brain” – Make the best out of the scenario you are put into. Do whatever you can within the orders of the commander but as your commander isn’t and should not be a puppet-master, then stick to the plan and use the opportunities that will be served in front of you as the battle evolves.
- “Voice Com Discipline” – Keep the communication related to the game at hand and keep it at bare minimum. In the heat of the battle having 7 people talking simultaneously or listening to a very interesting story of how your shell missed a tank might seem very interesting but it is not adding anything to the battle at hand.
- “Focus Fire” – The single most important rule to get an advantage in any team battle. Cant shoot at the target? Take out the one with lowest health. There are too many battles lost 0-7 or similar where the enemy team has all their tanks at a one shot. 2 nearly dead tanks are stronger than one at full health if played correctly.
- “Arty Ready” – When the Commander yells ‘Arty Ready’ look upon the skies for artillery shells if your groups location is spotted by keeping the vehicle mobile. This is especially important for heavy slow targets.
- “F7 – Spotted!” – Did you get spotted? Click F7, so the commander knows what your opponent teams know. Yelling “spotted” takes valuable time away unless your voice is unique. The combat intelligence is one of the most important aspects to the game, this only increases as you progress further up in the Strongholds Tier.
Strongholds – Few Extra Tips;
- If you decide to bring slow loading auto loaders (not re-loaders), then make sure to bring at least 2 and keep them working in pairs with enough potential damage to take out a full health enemy tank in 1 clip.
- If you do not have an EBR 75 FL 10 or Lynx 6×6 among your ranks and/or if your team struggles then think about either bringing a super aggressive LT-432 to counter it or support your light tank with a fast auto loader in the beginning of the battle (Bourrasque/Lorraine 40t).